I have the pleasure to announce the releases of two new KDevelop versions:
On one hand, there is the new and shiny KDevelop 5.0 Beta 2 release, which brings us much closer to a final release. Tons of issues have been resolved, many features got polished, and even our UI cleaned up a bit here and there. And did I mention impoved OS X and Windows support? See here for more:
Besides this new beta release, which is where most of our effort went into, I am also happy to announce KDevelop 4.7.3, a new bugfix release of our latest stable KDE 4 based KDevelop. Several annoying problems are resolved now, see the announcement for more information:
Many thanks to everyone involved!
displaying size meta data of classes and members in KDevelop thanks to Clang
I’m very glad to finally announce the first beta of KDevelop 5.0.0, based on Qt 5, KF 5 and Clang: https://www.kdevelop.org/news/first-beta-release-kdevelop-500-available
Like I’ve said previously, I’m very thankful of the tons of contributors that made this step possible. From the early testers, over the many new KDevelop contributors who helped a lot in porting our code base to Qt 5 and KF5, to the people that worked on improving kdev-clang and all the other areas. It’s a great feeling to finally release this beast. A year ago, just after we started in this process, I still wasn’t too sure we can pull it all off. Now, look where we are :) “Just” a few more weeks of polishing and I’m positively sure KDevelop 5.0.0 will be a really good milestone.
That said, I also want to express my thanks towards the KDE e.V. which graciously sponsored our recent KDevelop/Kate sprint in Berlin. We rented a flat for the 8 hackers that visited Berlin and had a productive five days directly after the Qt World Summit. Personally, I worked on kdev-clang and polished it a bit more in the preparation of the first beta release. One handy feature I added is the display of size information about classes and member variables, displayed in the image to the right.
Time flies… The extremely productive hack sprint at the friendly Blue Systems office in Barcelona is over for more than a week. I haven’t had time to blog about the last days yet which I hereby make good for!
I spent a lot of time at the sprint polishing the KDevelop Clang plugin. A up-to-now semi-secretly developed language plugin based on clang which will replace our current C++ language support in KDevelop in the long-run.
Code completion of
std::string in a
Showing a clang-generated warning inside the editor.
Nested clang diagnostics with browsing support.
KDevelop’s current C++ plugin
But a bit of history first: KDevelop’s current C++ language plugin can pull off what it does by essentially implementing (parts of) the C++ standard. We have our own C++ parser, we have our own implementation of the C++ template mechanism, we have our own share of “compiler bugs”, …. It should not surprise anyone that this is a maintenance nightmare. And indeed, with C++11 and the wealth of changes it came with our language simply fails in many areas. The current codebase is big (~55k sloc) and adding support for complicated features such as variadic templates or constexpr is extremely hard and fragile. So instead of doing that, my colleague Olivier JG started looking into using clang of LLVM fame instead. It promises an API for third-party tools to steer a C/C++/Objective-C compiler to their needs. Its the magic bullet which we waited for, and which did not exist back when KDevelop 4.0 was started initially.