I have the pleasure to attend Akademy this year again. From my past experience, I’m really looking forward to have a good time again. Lots of hacking, meeting known and unknown faces, drinking beer and socializing ahead! I also love that it’s in a (to me) new country again, and wonder what I will see of the Czech Republic and Brno!
This year, the conference schedule is a bit different from the past years. Not only do we have the usual two days packed with interesting talks and keynotes. No - this year there will also be workshops on the third day! These are more in-depth talks which hopefully teach the audience some new skills, be it QML, mobile development, testing, or … profiling :) Your’s truly has the honor to hold a one-hour Profiling 101 workshop.
Yesterday my Profiling 101 workshop took place at this years Akademy in Brno. The room was packed and I got good feedback, so I hope you all learned something new :)
During my workshop, I showed you how to improve the performance of a word-count application which also creates a word histogram and finds the longest word of a file. I tried to put as many performance bottlenecks as possible into the original code base, which you can find here:
git clone firstname.lastname@example.org:scratch/mwolff/akademy-2014.git
Instead of uploading my useless slides full of meme images, instead I’m now pushing my optimized code branch. I urge everyone to review the commits I did and read the individual commit messages ( Note : read this log from bottom to top). There are many useful tips and tricks in there. I furthermore plan to create a techbase article with the most important notes on how to use profilers for a given job. I’ll write another blog post once I’m done with that.
I’ve been gone for eight days and returned just a few hours ago to Berlin. It doesn’t feel like that. The last days went by in a blur of awesomeness! The reason why I didn’t write a single blog post in between is just that I never had a spare minute for that. I arrived on Thursday and instantly enjoyed the warmth of Spain / the Basque country and had a tasty and cheap Menu del Dia at a local Restaurant with fellow KDABians and other KDE friends. Then just a few hours later the first party started, near the old district of the city - amazing! More and more hackers and helpers arrived, the atmosphere was once again so good. The social aspect of this years Akademy was without comparison in my opinion - seriously: Hats off to the local team, you did an amazing job!
While the social events on the following days have been just as awesome or even awesomer to awesomest - I especially enjoyed the day trip and jumping into the ocean! - the technical side of Akademy delivered just as well: My favorite talks this year where Mirko’s about ThreadWeaver, which we heavily use in KDevelop. His roadmap and polished API looks much better than what we have nowadays and should allow for much nicer code which might even perform better - kudos!
you didn’t hear anything from me since quite some time… Thing is, this is my last “regular” semester of university where I have two lab courses that are very time demanding. The year after, I’ll be spending time on my master thesis, which hopefully will allow for some more leisure time for KDE.
Anyhow, a small project which I just worked on to write some small lines of code again was to make my BKO backtrace highlighter work on Chromium. It requires the Tampermonkey extension to get more compatibility with Greasemonkey of Firefox fame, otherwise it works more or less out of the box!
After fixing some small other inconsistencies I can now say that it works fine in both, Firefox and Chromium! I furthermore took the liberty to extend its functionality a bit: You now also get highlighted Valgrind traces, i.e. generated by memcheck and other error reporting tools - yay!
highlighting of a Valgrind memcheck trace on bugs.kde.org with additional navigation helpers, using Chromium