progress in PHP support for KDevelop
Hey everyone. Been some time since I last blogged… I want to take the chance to give you all a bit of overview over the last changes in the PHP plugin for KDevelop:
I spent quite some time profiling various aspects of the PHP plugin, be it parsing and DUChain building over to (just yesterday) code completion. I’m confident to say that I found (and removed) quite a few bottlenecks, making the plugin much more comfortable to use.
I’m really blown away time over time again by valgrind & KCachegrind… What would we do without these tools?
An (imo) very strong point for using KDevelop for PHP programming is it’s seamless support for documentation. Be it the “simple” inline documentation in the Declaration Tooltips or the extended integration of the remote PHP.net docs. But these past days I improved our generator for the inline documentation of built-in PHP language constructs considerably:
- add documentation for function/method parameters
- fix some missing declarations or bugs, esp. some that where part of SPL
These changes increased the size of the generated file to whopping 3.1M. This was too much for me and hence I added support to ship this file zipped (i.e. now it’s 80% smaller) and we decompress it transparently with the use of
KZip. Adding such a feature was a breeze, so nice to work with the KDE Api :)
There are still a few things missing and stuff I plan to improve here, so stay tuned for more news in this regard.